Just a quick recap of the 2008 year in the state of Arkansas which included racquetball.
- ARA began this year with 63 active members and ended with 109.
- ARA sanctioned 13 tournaments, yes that was almost 1 per month. Unfortunately 9 were in NWA, 3 were in Ft. Smith and 1 was in Russelville. Little Rock area will hopefully get an event put together in 2009.
- Micah completed his first 1.5 years as the VP of the ARA.
- Mountain Home, AR began their High School team again. They got around 40 people interested in joining the team. Very exciting, especially since they are a smaller town.
- The University of Arkansas has a racquetball team for the first time in history. The coach and officers had their first meeting at the fundraiser to plan the spring season. Recap of meeting will be on the UofA site soon.
- 2 tournaments included divisions just for juniors and women.
- Annual board meeting took place in Ft.Smith in July. (will post notes when I get them)
- A very sad time was brought onto the ARA and its family when we lost an up and coming female player in a fatal car accident. We miss you Carolyn.
- Derrick Victor was able to represent our state in the first ever Military Tournament in San Diego, CA in which he and his partner took the Open Doubles title home.
- Drew Toland won the ARA State Singles as if he was the only one playing. Great playing this year Drew! Hope to see you again in future tournaments.
- Patti and Mike Nichols got 2nd in Mixed B doubles at U.S. Open.
- Derrick Victor won 2nd place in a very tough Elite division at U.S. Open
- Dann Schwinger and Dave Watson (OK) won the Open Division at state doubles.
- Russellville hosted their first tournament and finsihed without any issues.
If I have left anything off or if you want to talk about what you have been doing for the sport of racquetball please comment.
See you on the courts,